50 Cents.Period. was established upon the belief that every woman has the right to experience her period with dignity. In 2010, a 50 cent package of sanitary napkins provided women and girls in India with the freedom to leave their homes and go to school. As we have grown, so have our mission, strategy, and focus.
Today, our mission is to empower women and girls to stay fully engaged in their lives and educations without the stigma and barriers surrounding their period, gender, and reproductive choices.
- We believe that EVERY woman and girl has the right to experience her period with dignity and understand her own body
- To be a voice for those who have none
- To reach women in the farthest, most underserved populations
- Use our voice and platform to advocate to raise awareness on gender disparities
- Follow “levelling-up” methodology in our program design
- Local people have local solutions–involve them every step of the way and cede administration to them
- Build lasting relationships with our partner orgs and the communities we serve
- Partnership NOT paternalism
- Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can
- Women’s bodies are not a place to practice religion or politics
- If change is to come, men must be involved in the conversation
- Respect, learn, and incorporate the cultural practices and beliefs of the populations we serve into our targeted programs
- Adjustments and best practices occur on a continuum, they are not static
- Invitation NOT occupation
- There is no “cookbook” or “one-size-fits-all” solution. ALL programs must be adjusted to fit their culture and context.
To learn more, visit 50 Cents. Period.
You can support our work with a tax-deductible donation in any amount here: